Friday, October 7, 2011

SMURF CAKE - tutorial

 I've had a number of hits people looking up my smurf cake instructions I made a year or so ago. These were very sparse though, with no pictures, so I have decided to remake the cake to show you better how I did it. The second one didn't turn out as good as the first, but maybe you can learn from my mistakes, and remember, it works... the first one turned out great!

Here's how I did it:

1. I baked a cake in a meat tray as I don't have a rectangle tin. Once cooked I cut off the top and the sides and turned it upside down. Instead of using a crumb coat of butter icing I used jam.

2. I iced the cake with butter icing. Recipe: 2 cups of icing sugar. 50 grams of butter. Hot water.... mix together to a nice consistancey. Once the icing was on I smoothed it out with a knife dipped in hot water.
3. I printed out the template (bottom of this page), and traced around it with a toothpick. I filled in the eyes and body as best I could.


4. I made a stiff icing using icing sugar, black food colouring and a small amount of boiling water to make a very stiff icing. Then made a piping bag out of waxproof paper by folding it into a triangle and cutting off the tip.
 NOTE: this is where things didn't go so good this time. You have to make sure you make a nice thick line with the icing so when you fill in the runny white and blue icing won't spill over the top of it.

5. Then I made a very RUNNY icing, using icing sugar and hot water. I used a spoon and drizzled it into the gaps. Then I added blue food colouring and did the same with that.



 So here's how the second one went. Not as cool as my first one, but you get the idea.


And here is the smurf template. right click on this and save it and print it out on an A4 sheet of paper. 

No comments: