Friday, August 16, 2013


Last night I just had a thought about how lucky I was. I mean, although I barely have 2 pennys to rub together at the mo, I have a garage full of stuff I collected for my 'future'. Well, this is the future. I'm grown up, paying my own bills, and because I always bought stuff with an eye to the future, I have big collection of 'toys' I can play with.

And check this out! This is a wood lathe my grandfather MADE, in around 1940 according to my uncle.
So I got it set up again with the help of a friend, and I'm planning to give it a go.
I took nightclasses years ago, and my Dad went out and bought me the tools... and of course there's Youtube for further guidance. I also found a South Auckland Word turners Guild on the internet too... but their stuff is so amazing I think I'll just tinker.
I would have started today but I decided the wood we had was too hard, so I'm scrounging around for offcuts people might have lying around.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ps. I decided although I'm broke I'm not going to let it ruin my weekends anymore!! I've told Catherine that I'm allowed a weekend too...and guess what.. along with this lathe, I've found an old manual potters wheel on Trade Me! Ok, bare with me... I know woodturning AND pottery are both time consuming art forms in themselvs, but I don't care! I want my weekends back and that's it! I'm gonna have fun! Badly made pots and goblets... here we come!

No comments: