Thursday, March 31, 2011

Generosity Part 1


I've said it before... but I was wiser when I was ten than I am now. That's because my Dad prided himself on "bringing me up well", and taught me all the things a child should know, including biblical wisdom and common sense learnt and passed down through the generations.

But "bad company corrupts good character" and sin has it's price, and oh how I wish I could snap my fingers and start again where I was at 21 before I met Catherine's Dad. And how I wish building my life back up wasn't such a long process. But building a character is a life long pursuit I guess.

But joy of joys - I've added another piece to the puzzle. Generosity.

You know how you just believed stuff when you were a kid? And when you heard in Sunday School - "It's better to give than to recieve", you just picked it up and ran with it? And now as a cynical adult, you look at world poverty and wonder if God really will provide for you if you don't hoard as much money as you can, and spend all your time with a foreboding about your future as a frail elderly person? No? Is it just me then is it?

Well, I guess that's what Jesus meant when he talked about child-like faith. Simply believing, then acting on it.

Well, the bible says generosity is the way to go. And either we can trust God to be true to His word, or we can't. And here's what I read recently...

"... he who sows sparingly and grudgingly will also reap sparingly and grudgingly, and he who sow generosly will also reap generosly and with blessings" (2 Corinthians 9 verse 6).

Theres alot more I'd like to say, but I'll leave it for later. For now I'll just say that I've decided to put all my eggs in one basket, trust God, and live a life of generosity.

No comments: