Friday, June 11, 2010

BACKSLIDING

Here is a study on scripture on backsliding... the verses that stick out to me anyhow.

The books of the prophets are before and during the exile of Israel into captivity. Basically, God has had enough!! Ignoring God's warnings, God send them to a terrible fate, 70 years of captivity - for the purposes of bringing them back to himself.

I love the books of the prophets. They are full of God expressing Himself to us. Some of it will probably be offensive to some people and maybe embarrassing to people who like to think God as a loving (ineffective) God. We try to hide the harshness of God, when God himself expresses this freely in the scriptures. But intermingled with expressions of anger, are deep expressions of love. God is a passsionate God! Here is a short study I have done, and things I have learnt about God.

THE HARSHNESS OF GOD:
"I will make them eat the flesh of thier sons and daughters, and they willl eat one another's flesh during the stress of the siege imposed on them by the enemies who seek their lives" Jeremiah 19.9

BUT REMEMBER:
"Why will you die, O house of Israel? for I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereing Lord. Repent and Live!" Ezekiel 18. 32

GOD HAD WARNED THEM FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS!!!
"All day long I have held out my hands to an obstinate people, who walk in ways not good, pursuing their own imaginations - a people who provoke me to my very face"

AND STILL AT THE LAST MOMENT, GOD WAS TRYING TO WARN THEM
" Perhaps when the people of Judah hear about every disaster I plan to inflict on them, each of them will turn from his wicked way; then I will forgive their wickedness and their sin"

THE PAIN OF GOD AT THE MEASURES HE HAD TO TAKE:
"Turn away from me; let me weep bitterly. Do not try to console me over the destruction of my people" Isaiah 22 4

GOD'S LOVE FOR US, AND THE OUTCOME OF IT ALL:
"The time is coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant"
" I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be thier God and they will be my people"
"For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember thier sins no more"
Jeremiah 31.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans for peace and not disaster. Plans to give you a future filled with hope" Jeremiah 29.11

No comments: