Thursday, May 14, 2009

Theology Thursday!

Thursday is a good day to theologise, coz I've got nothing on all day ("yipee!"), and I've just had Bible study the night before.
So then: Topic one "PREDESTINATION"
As in: God has already determined our eternal destiny before we were born.
Now I strongly believe in this, although lately, I have been learning ab0ut the flip side, our choices. But that is always preached, and because I never hear predestination preached, whenever I read in the bible something that points towards it I pounce on it "Ah-ha!". And the bible is littered with little verses pointing towards it.
My basic belief is this... that yes although "we-are-not-robots-and-we-have-a-free-will", that God can orchestrate those choices into His ultimate plan.
Here are a few verses I found just now, flipping through my bible.
"But you are a chosen people..." 1 Peter 2:9
- Many are invited, but few are chosen
" Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and inherit the Kingdom..." James 2:5
"Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called.."
"Their destiny is destruction.."

And the example my bible study teacher, Dr John, mentioned last night was when Jesus said we have to be born again. And do we choose when we are born? Nope. Not up to us. Spiritual truths cannot be understood without the Holy Spirit explaining them to us, and God imparts Himself to us when He choses.

No comments: