Thursday, May 21, 2009

Theology Thursday! week two

Poo! I wanted to be all deep and start something cool - but now I've gone blank. Oh well, I'll just write about myself. Why not? It's my blog!
The Book of Jerimiah, my fav book of the bible. God doesn't mince words here (why do we??) and tells Israel exactly how He feels, and why He is disciplining them. (I know I emphasise this, but its the main thing I've learnt to date).
Ok. The verse I was thinking of is actually in Isaiah, (but same deal) "They have chosen their own ways, and their soul delights in their abominations aso I also will chose harsh treatment for them and will bring upon them what they dread". Isaiah 66:3
When I was a teen, I'd make "deals" with God. "OK Lord. You can cut off both my legs. You can let me go blind. There's only one thing youre not allowed to do. I don't want to loose my sanity". I don't think it was a coincidence that when I was disciplined it was with seven year of mental illness.
"But what terrible sin did you commit?" I hear you ask.
Stubborn Pride.
I remember somone saying that if we mess up sexually we are "only human", and I remember thinking "that's the most disgusting thing I've ever heard. God wants us to be righteous doesn't He?"
I've discovered He wants us to be righteous, yes, but not SELF-righteous. That's pride. God hates that. God gives us a righteousness from Jesus. We can never earn it. Catch 22 though, once we are gifted with the righteousness of Christ, our lives slowly get sorted anyway.. (stumbling and tripping along the way).
Yay for God :)
I'll end there. Good night.

No comments: